Thursday, January 12, 2012

Peace

How are those resolutions coming along?  I strongly dislike the word "resolution".  I believe that we are who we are and we really can't change too much, and we really don't need to (with the exception of hardened-criminals).  The problems come about when we decide we're not happy with who we are.  Quite philosophical, huh?

Think about it.  We EAT when we're upset, sad, angry, bored, etc and we gain weight.  And then we're fat and ugly (we think) and we eat some more.  We SPEND MONEY because something, we feel, is missing in our lives and we end up broke.  When, in fact, if we all chill out a bit and take an outsiders view...we're not that bad.

Here's what I pray for...peace of mind. 

Here's what I pray for for my children...their happiness and peace of mind and for me to quit nagging them to be the person I think/thought they should/would be.

I digress...getting back to the peace of mind thing.  I truly believe that every prayer ever said can be reduced to having a peaceful self.

My "resolution" this year has been to help God out with my earthen peace.  I'm doing what I can to identify the things that make me nuts, inpatient, upset, angry, etc...and find a way to eliminate those things or at least deal with them in a grown-up and intelligent way.  That's opposed to going bat-shit crazy when one of the kids leaves a sock on the floor in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Am I preaching to the choir or what here?!  That's okay you don't have to testify.

Here are my triggers (well, the ones I've identified anyway) in no particular order...

LAUNDRY

Problem: it's never done.  DUH!

Solution: by washing, folding, and putting away 3 loads everyday I can stay on top of the piles.  This way I don't spend an entire Saturday doing laundry only to have the hampers full again by Sunday evening.

KIDS AND CHORES

Problem: endless complaining, crying, and whining about what needs to be done.  It's really not endless, it's just really annoying.  Then I fall into my lecture about third world children and how lucky the are to live with me.  Then my face hurts from talking. Then I'm grouchy.

Solution: LISTS!  When the kids get home from school there is a list waiting.  The list has everything each child has to get done before TV/computer/wii/ds time.  Shockingly, this works very well.  I have done this in the past but kinda slacked off.  Need to be more diligent with this task.  When the kids get "the list"  they know what's expected.  No surprises.  Mom doesn't nag. STUFF.GETS.DONE! 

MEAL PLANNING

Problem: coming up with what to feed my family is the biggest stresser in my life. (Pretty good life I've got.)  If I don't have a plan by the time everyone walks in the door from chores, it's chaos and I'm a freaked out wreck.

Solution: Monthly menu!  I did one today for the next SIX weeks.  I feel so in control!  I'll share it later.

COMPETITION

Problem: OBVIOUS!  Those who aren't competitive...you need to sponsor some sort of "in-service" and invite me!  It's not as bad as it used to be...but it can be improved upon.

Solution:  Stepping back.  Relax.  Deep breaths. Teach my kids and myself to be the best that they can be and angels could do no more.  Last summer I tries to talk #1 OUT of taking a certain 4-H project to Achievement Days.  I shared that it wasn't purple ribbon worthy... he says, "Isn't it about making things together and spending time together?"  My heart broke and smiled at the same time.  Clearly, he has a better handle on life than his mother does.

RELAXING

Problem: I DON'T DO IT!

Solution:  Make myself do it.  Currently, I'm addicted to "Angry Birds" (only after the kids go to bed of course).  This includes making time for myself to be creative and not feel guilty when I paint, sew, craft, and the ginormous list of creative things I like to do.

HOUSEKEEPING

Problem:  I don't see the beautiful house that we live in.  I see the dirt!

Solution:  I hired a fabulous woman to come every other week to clean my house.  I LOVE HER!  The night before she comes, we have a "picking up" party.  Everything is put in its place.  I come home to a spotless house.  WOO HOO!  This has also given me time to work on clutter and cleaning things that would normally be overlooked. 

That's enough of my rambling.  Hope I've inspired someone.  Hope someone can identify with this craziness.  Gotta go...load number 3 is dry!

Becky



3 comments:

Mary Connor said...

You are amazing! SUCH good ideas. And I'm totally going to send you recipes you might like for meal planning. How do you feel about crock pots?

Farm wife down the road said...

I saw your post and then I saw this saying -
Do what makes you happy
be with who makes you smile
laugh as often as you breathe
love as long as you live

You could craft that into something awesome during your relaxing time!

Janet said...

I have no idea what you are talking about in this post. My life, my kids, my house, and my laundry are all perfect and I cook three homemade meals a day, 7 days a week while ironing my husbands work shirts. What's your deal?