Thursday, September 10, 2009

Kitchen Art

So... I originally saw this idea on this blog. {This is a FANTASTIC and FUNNY home decor blog - I spend a lot of time reading her stuff... I mean A LOT of time! Just ask my kids -"Mom, Mom, Mooooommmmm, where are you?"} I thought this bit of artwork would look splendid on my kitchen wall. Now I'm not so sure. You tell me. I think the scale is all wrong. And on the other hand, I love the way it looks. Why can't I just like it and not worry about a designer's opinion? UGH! Nuf said - I had fun creating and it will remain on this wall until the next project is complete!

1. I gathered up all the 1/2 inch plywood, particle board, underlayment, etc that I could find around the place.

2. From this, we (the children and I) cut 9 - 12 inch squares. {Please note: no children were harmed in the completion of this project}

3. I painted the edges with brown spray paint. {... the kids get a little whoozy when they spray paint. hee hee - I'm just kidding}

4. After the paint dried, I picked out my favorite "scrapbook papers" and used spray adhesive to glue them to the boards. Note about scrapbooking: I love the paper because I LOVE paper period! However, I do not make the time for the detailed involved with that craft. Kudos to those who do not suffer from extreme lack of patience as I do!





5. After these had dried I used my favorite sander to ruff 'em up around the edges.


6. I started to seal the blocks with Mod Podge but I got a little nervous when the bubbles started popping up (I HATE THIS ABOUT MOD PODGE). Obviously, I decided against sealing and put them on the wall. As with everything I do, my self diagnosed decorating ADD kicked in and now I see that I need crown molding around the ceiling in the kitchen. One project always leads to another.

I used shades of red, green, and brown. With the exception of the kids' rooms, everything in the house is one of these three colors.

Let me know what ya think.

Blessings - B





No comments: