Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Tree on the Cheap

The entry:

This cabinet came from Bev's sale and is the inspiration for the whole room.  This room, by far, is the "countriest" of them all.  The tree is the one our family put up in our county courthouse last year for the festival of trees.
The inspiration for the tree came from this adorable cake pan found at the local flea market for a dollar. 

I had visions of the rest of the tree covered in old cookie cutters - visions were squashed when I learned what those cost.  Plan B was to use old "tins".  They run about $3 for 5-10 of the cute little things.  I was so lucky to find the precious little Christmas Trees.

What do I need now? Hmmm... how about making cookie cut outs from salt dough.  What a great idea.  I added a little vanilla and pumpkin pie spice to make them smell good.  Being impatient, I dried them in the oven.
The thing is covered in these creations... holly, gingerbread men, trees, stars, etc.
{If you do this, make a hole somewhere on the cutout with a toothpick so that you can hang them with ribbon - the hole needs to be pretty good size}

What are we gonna put on top?
 I splurged for these 2 cookie cutters and wired them inside the tin star mold. 
They are hard to see but they are a boy and a girl gingerbread people.

I love a lot of floral junk on the tops of our trees [Really? we couln't tell]



I cut strips of burlap for the "garland" and used about 1 1/2 yards of the burlap as a tree skirt.  It's a very homey tree.
#####
Before M bought yours truly my very own scroll saw, Pammie Sue was my got to person for my letters.  She did a beautiful job cutting out "S A N T A" (on top of the Sellers) on her scroll saw.  Yes, run out and buy more power tools.  You will never regret it and your husband/boyfriend/brother/dad will be thrilled to help you out with this venture.
Anyhoo...the letters have been every color under the rainbow.  A crackled red finish suits them just fine.

Blessings-B

2 comments:

Janet said...

I was just reading about "themed" Christmas trees the other day. Great job as always! Do you think I could do a "construction worker" themed tree this year? You know... hang tools off the branches and use painters tape for garland, etc...? And sprinkle drywall dust over it for a snowing effect?!?!?!

B said...

Love the idea! Lemons into lemonade, right? One kid tree will work just fine for you THIS year. However, we expect HUGE, HUGE, HUGE eye candy next holiday season!! Unfortunatley, I'm here to tell you that even next year you will still be battling drywall dust. Ha Hugs!