Wednesday, October 21, 2009

May I Take a Message?

Do you ever walk in to your house and say to yourself, "Wow, that's ugly"?  When I say this to myself, then I am OBSESSED until I can make it un-ugly (atleast in my eyes).

Current Obsession:
#1. Entry bulletin board
#2. Where to put the kids' artwork

#1-
Recovered entry bulletin board with burlap and put it in an old frame:



















This baby was on of those el-cheapo boards from Wal-Mart that had absolutely NO character.  {BTW - these are readily available at thrift stores EVERYWHERE!}  I tore off the old frame and covered the cork with burlap. Then I popped it in the frame and secured it with a staple gun.

Much classier - don't ya think?

This was absolutely free!  Remember, I had all the supplies, so no costs are realized!

#2 -
Project number one lead to an idea for problem #2:
More recovered bulletin boards!  This time I stepped out a little and went to Menard's for the board and the trim.  Did I mention that I HATE MENARD'S?!  More on that in a minute.  Because I have 5 children it would be necessary for us to have a rather large art display.  For $9.00 we found this:















It's 48X32 - HUGE and PERFECT!  But I also needed some decorative trim for the frame.  Here's where the loathing comes into play.  I found an oak piece for $6 for a 6 feet piece or I could buy an 8 foot piece of that primed MDF stuff for $4 - no brainer since I'm going to paint it anyway, right?  But how is one to get it into her CAR?  I asked the kind gentleman behind the "lumber desk" if they could cut the 8ft piece in half.  He said, "Well, we might have a hand saw back here somewhere."  Huh?  Are you kidding me?  On second thought, is there a Lowe's nearby? (NO)  Believe it or not, I got the 2 - 8 foot pieces in the front seat of my car.  The kids had to ride home with their heads cocked a little to the right but they've recovered.
Anyway...  I painted the trim pieces and then covered the board with upholstery fabric while the paint was drying.  I distressed the trim a little and found that the white came through -duh.  So, I used some wood stain to go over the sanded parts and it turned out to be amazing.  Maybe not amazing, but it looks nice.
I glued and stapled and nailed all of these parts onto a 1/4 inch piece of "somethin' cheap" plywood. 

It hangs in the kitchen and is already full of masterpieces! I feel like one of those good moms now. HA




















Blessings-B

2 comments:

Janet said...

Love the projects. Could you make some for my house so I can be a good mom too???

Sassmaster said...

Girl! You are unstoppable.