Friday, September 9, 2011

The First Born Cooks

#1 competed in the State Fair 4-H Special Foods Contest.  This is where said 4-Her has to prepare a dish in front of a judge.  Prepare a place setting in front of a judge, and answer nutrition infornmation questions in front of a judge. 

It's all very picky and very tedious.  He did a great job and received a purple ribbon.

The kid loves to cook... his mother, not so much.

To help him get rid of the nerves, I took it upon myself to irritate him.

He's in 4th grade now and a bit too "grown-up" for picture taking and silly antics.  So, I told him that if he didn't smile for the camera, I was going to sing at the top of my lungs in front of him and about 200 of his peers...


He's trying not to smile.


Setting the table.


I let him take my picture!


Bored sisters. 
 #2 {on the left}is like,
"Go ahead let her sing.  Maybe they'll kick us out and we can go to the midway."


Here's what he prepared:

*******************************************************

Super BLT Club Pockets

1/2 cup crispy bacon crumbles
2 cups shredded lettuce
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
8 oz. turkey breast, coarsely chopped
1 Roma tomato, thin sliced
1/3 cup light ranch salad dressing
6 pita pockets (use the "super soft" kind - easier for kids to eat)
Leaf lettuce for garnish, if desired

Toss together all ingredients except the pita bread.  Spoon 1/6 of the mixture into each pocket.  Add leaf lettuce and serve promptly.

*******************************************************

Dinner is served!

Becky

1 comment:

Janet said...

Can't believe how big your "baby" is these days! Sooo tall! He is just too cute. Next time I come up I will be sure to tell the kids all about how you used to embarass me singing in your loudest voice for all to hear! LOL