Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Weaning

The cows came home...literally. 
 Mike brought all the pairs (the cows and their calves) home from their summer pastures this last week in anticipation of weaning.  
These old girls haven't had grain all summer.  It can get pretty rough at the feed bunk. 
The big white butt belongs to one of the bulls.  When his lady friends arrived back on the scene, he refused to stay where he's supposed to stay.  We gave up and he got his way.


"Has anyone seen my mom?"


I love #44.  Her white face makes me smile.  Isn't she pretty?
{Mike doesn't share the same love for her that I do.}


These wee ones look like they're hiding behind their mamas' skirts. 
Sweet babies.


It hasn't rained for many days and freshly weaned calves don't do well with dust.
We'll wait a few more days before we separate them from their mamas.

But eventually, the time will come and

with a few months and a whole lotta corn these little darlings ...


...will become something like this...


"I feel fat today.  I'm having a fat day.  Do I look fat to you?  I only had some corn for breakfast.  Then last night I had some corn for supper.  Oh yeah, and then for lunch yesterday - yup, corn again.  I can't help myself.  I feel so bloated."

Have you had your beef today?  I know it's hard when they're lookin' right at ya!


The farmer and the farmer's wife.

Becky



6 comments:

Janet said...

Did Mike yell at you at any point to put the camera down and watch the gate or sort somethin or other? GR just rolls his eyes when the camera pops out in the middle of a task! lol!!

B said...

Hysterical laughter...we're all just exactly the same.

Sassmaster said...

Girrrrl, you are NOT fat, you jes' got some junk in your trunk! And you are WORKIN' that ear tag. Now that little Charolais over there? She is a hot feedlot mess.

B said...

"hot feedlot mess"... LOVE IT!

CheriP said...

yes I have those days when I feel like a "hot feedlot mess" Love it. baahahahah

B said...

I know for sure that I've smelled like one a time or two.